Sunday, October 4, 2009

Snapper Fishing

Seems like things have been a bit slow with the RBF staff. All we hear about is trout trout and more trout (especially by Wade Rivers). So I loaded up the truck and pointed it south. After 1,000 miles I decided I better stop or I’d be swimming in the gulf. We booked a trip with the Bluewater Bandit, fired up the twin 250’s and headed out for some big grouper.
After a short ride off shore of 45 miles it was time to look for the big guys. My nephew Erik started off with a big one that he couldn’t budge, so he decided to practice some long line releasing (he didn’t want to bring it up from a mere 225 feet down).
I then had to explain were not fishing for trout and this is strictly a catch and filet trip.
Action proved slow for the big grouper but the Red Snapper fishing was hot and heavy. We landed many 20+ pounders, only to release them to return to the depths (closed season).

Action was steady for the next few hours, and then things got real interesting. I had a nice fish hooked when everyone started to yell I better real quicker that a dolphin (flipper) just turned and was headed my way. Little did I know that a 4 hundred pound dolphin hits like a runaway freight train. For a brief (felt like forever) time I was battling this brute for my grouper. Finally the battle ended and I was fishless, never fearing I asked the mate for another dead smelly fish. I proceeded to drop to the bottom and repeated the process. Only this time the dolphin left go after a short battle. Once again it was a red snapper and had to be released, only to never make it back to the depths. We watched as 3 dolphins surrounded it, then in a flash one darted in and the snapper was no more. We finished the trip by boating 7 nice grouper, one shark and dozens of red snapper and a couple cases of beer.

7 comments:

Chief said...

I am a bit shocked not to see you in your 5th Annual Shirt! Did you wear it out already?

Bowhunter said...

I didn't want to take a chance of getting blood on it.

GlenG said...

Looks like a damn nice trip. Its a shame that snapper were off the list of keepers - looks like a bunch of good eating that swam away! Damn dolphins, its no wonder they end up in tuna fish cans!

Wade Rivers said...

Mike,
Looks like you boyz had a great time and got to fill the freezer with some fresh fillets as well.

I once mentioned to the Chief that I thought fresh fish are really good food for the brain. The Chief then replied that if that were really true then I should try eating a whale. I'm still trying to get my wind back after that one.

Chief said...

I never said such a thing. The Chief assembled the Pro Staff partly based on mental capacities. We have high standards here. So, if you were selected for Staff assignment, one 1000 mg fish oil cap daily will supply all the nutrients your furtile mind (and heart) requires.

Everything about that damn Bowhunter is big...Big buffalo, big fish, big truck, big gun, big...

GlenG said...

I think that Carrie also echoed the Chief's sentiment regarding Mike as well.....

Bowhunter said...

With the appetites on the Pro-Staff you have to have big supply of food. Why else would I do all these ungodly trips? The only way to get it to the camp is in a big truck. As far as Carrie…. That’s classified information.
Besides, I have to start preparing for a late fall fly tying summit at the Rossiter Lodge.