Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Chief Goes Cooler Fishin


The Cooler Fishin Chief on Elk Creek
After spending the morning with a construction crew on I-90 with traffic wizzing by at a horrific speed, it was time for a break. I went to the Elk Creek Access off Rt. 5 to eat my lunch. I met three retired gentlemen anglers who were conducting very successful field testing on smallmouths with various jigs and twister tails. In about an hours time I probably saw 50 smallies hooked and released. After spending a couple of more hours in a noisy carbide tool plant I returned to the mouth of Elk Creek with four Straub's Peter Special Darks for some cooler fishin. The old gentlemen were gone and I had the stream to myself. I tied on a #4 RBF Wooly Booger and commenced to continuously hook and land smallies until my arms hurt. The Streamborn 10' 5 wt. built on a J. Kennedy Fisher blank with a fighting butt was ideal for these bronze backed torpedos. I fished for two hours and landed 17. I did lose a handful.

A Dandy Smallie

Some of you Pro Staffers have seen my Frabil landing net at the Baetis Summit. For those of you that have not seen this behemoth net, it is 20" across the bottom. Also, that little white spot in the left side of the mouth is a #4 RBF Wooly Booger. Gentlemen, that is a huge smallmouth.

Average Size Smallmouth

Word must have gotten out that the Chief was murder'em as about nine beaners showed up and began scurrying around the rocks like hot tamalas so the Chief packed up and headed off to the Alvonia Tavern in Fairview for a Lake Erie walleye dinner. After consuming my monthly allowance of mercury, I headed back to the Bel Aire for some Staub's finest and hopefully some sleep.

Carry on.

1 comment:

Bowhunter said...

Chief,

Those are some darn nice smallies. Any luck with the steel?
Keep the stream reports coming.