Thursday, June 4, 2009

BWS - 2009

Well, since nobody else is doing it, I guess I'll step in and recount the angling events that took place....


My journey started off, with the intent to fish a small freestoner on the way there, where ever "there" is. I'm not at liberty to disclose the location, though you can see it on Google maps if need be. Do you know you get a check mailed to you everytime you write "Google" in a blog? Opps, there it was again....Yep, saw it on a chain e-mail, so you know its true! Anywho, there I go again gettin off track...Focus....focus...OK, I'm better now...
I hadn't fished this freestoner in quite some time, so anticipation ran high. Long story short, the weather was dark and dim, with sprinkles and drizzle here and there. The weather so far this season, despite some warm dry weather, has mostly been cool and damp. Today was no exception. When I arrived, the water level looked about normal, and as it always is, the water was gin clear. No fish were feeding. A few small stones were buzzing around, but no mayflies.



After hiking downstream a good ways, I stopped and studied. About that time, I started to notice some sulphers emerge, then followed by a flurry of green drakes. Yessir, this was going to be a field day...NOT. All day long I saw squadrons of sulphers, dozens/hundreds - lots for a freestoner, and saw 2 fish rise, which I rose and missed both. Missed a couple of others too, both of which caught me by surprise when they rose. A slow, tough catchin day for sure...But the place is still pretty sweet!


When I arrived at the Rossiter, eating and drinking began in earnest for the weekend - Thank God, I was thirsty! Kudos and thanks to Mike for his hospitality!

The next day, which always follows the previous day for some odd reason.....Anyway, this day dawned, and had the promise of clearing skies, and also more angling anticipation. We were going to visit a stream I never fished before. I can't wait for Alzheimer's to kick in - then they will all be new again to me! This stream was at least at one time, Class A water. The stream looked amazing - clear, fast, and in spots, deep. I caught one lonely fish, and I believe that was our average for each of us, and all we had to show for a entire morning of angling.



Then Andy struck paydirt....Truth is, he ran ahead of me all morning, and when I caught up with him, he kicked me shins, then jumped right in this awesome pool and promptly caught this fish. Good thing I have a short memory, or I wouldn't have taken his picture! A nice, above average wild Brookie.


Matt plies the waters...


I would have taken a pic of the Chief, but he resorted to using the stealth spray, and I couldn't find the bastard. He didn't sneak up on any either, so the spray's effectiveness has come into question. A full review from the staff is pending.....

This stream's bottom land was very unusual for a stream in this area. In the sense that it had mostly sycamores growing in the riparian zone. Most streams have hemlocks, pines, maples, willows, or some other tree, but not usually sycamores. Probably a result of the intense timber activity that took place about 125 years ago.

Larger streams also will have an abundance of sycamores, but its rare to find one this size with trees like this.


The evening on the larger stream, produced some good risers and an incredible variety and quantity of insects. Very impressive!


The next morning was almost magical too.....


But nymph fishing yielded nada.....

So upstream to a trib we went......


Mike and I beat this water to a froth, and not a fish came to hand. Very interesting water though. Deep, fast, and some nice/nasty undercut banks. Prime habitat for browns, one would think. In fact, hell, it looks like New Zealand, South island....



The rest of the day gave way to drinking and eating, as the fishing was proving to be too tough and unproductive. Truth be told, my own feeling is that the drought that we have been mired in for the last three years, may have taken its toll on the resident fish population. There are just not the amount of fish as we have seen in the past. The streams in the north central part of the state appear to have taken the brunt on the damage caused by the drought. I even got a letter from AL Gore saying that this is a direct result of global warming. Good thing he invented the Internet too, or I wouldn't be here doing this right now. Not to fear, this is not the first bad drought, nor will it be the last. The streams will bounce back. If there's one thing that can be said about wild trout - they're tough and are survivors!

Did I mention the yucca flowed, and the beer was cold?



Kickin Back..



Just another lousy weekend in paradise.....Thank you sir, may I have another!

2 comments:

Wade Rivers said...

Best post of the day!

Bowhunter said...

Great post Glen. My picture quality did not warrant a post. You did forget to mention that the squadrons of Drakes were on every stream we fished. With an extremely productive spinner fall below the log jam.
Who needs the crowds on Penns Creek.

PS. Drakes are still poping in good numbers at Colburn.