Wednesday, November 14, 2012

From the Chief

Sad news to report.  Pop passed away on November 6.  He was 90 and had been suffering a bit since last hunting season, in and out of the hospital with COPD.  It came unexpected.  He seemed to be improving when I last visited on his birthday, October 21.  Mom wanted me to go through his things.  Pop was getting ready for hunting season!  Pop was a very unique man.  He spent his life amusing me and Mom.  We hunted together since I was 8, missing only those years that  I was in college.  He had a catcher's mitt and he caught me up through high school.  He was my best friend and hero.  I was never to worry about him because he "survived a depression, fought a World War, made it through 3 great floods and survived 5 Republican presidents."  He was a master craftsman.  I  will post photos of the rifle he built for me when I graduated college.  www.wharrisfuneralhome.com

I will be having back surgery on the first day of deer season and I will probably be retiring shortly after.  I am hoping that I will find at least some relief from my pain so that I can hunt and fish again.  I made Bowhunter and JohnW blog administrators and hope you guys keep this thing going.  I have been terrible in keeping this blog active. I just can't sit at a computer in comfort. Carry on and GOOD LUCK.

Oh yeah......I bought a 2013 Chevy Suburban LT, tan with black leather, loaded.  I go and just sit in it to get relief with its heated seats.  That sumbitch will be just great for steelie fishin!  I can haul the entire Pro Staff and their gear!

Hey - Please try to keep the Annual Christmas Fishing Gathering tradition alive.  It's great fellowship and a good way to celebrate who we are.  Let me know if and when.  Pops Memorial Mass will be December 17.

3 comments:

Bowhunter said...

Don't worry Chief. I will keep things going until you are back on your feet

Agrontrutta said...

Chief:
So sorry to hear about your Dad. He lived a long and eventful life. Please accept my sympathies and condolences.

Also sorry to hear about the back problems. Sounds much more serious than my temporary discomfort this summer.

When the back gets better, wheel that big old Suburban west and I'll treat you to some great fishin and the best guide (my nephew) on the Missouri at Craig, MT. I may join you in retirement if some of the yahoos I supervise at work don't shape up (that'll teach em)!

Take care
Matt S.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad Chief. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a speedy recovery.