Monday, August 25, 2008

Montana Ales

The Chief did some serious taste tasting of the fine Montana beers. I must admit that they are a bit finer than what we have here in PA. Let's run down the beers tested on the various waters of YNP and Montana...


A very interesting ale brewed in Marion, MT near Kalispell. Reminds me of Lord Chesterfield Ale and Labatt "55" in the green bottles. On the carton... "Lang Creek Brewery is dedicated to the abolishment of mundane, tasteless swill you have long been programmed to know as beer." I really liked this beer.


Outstanding beer! British-style pale ale. Great taste and body. Made me think of Bowhunter in Nebraska. Brewed in Belgrade, MT. Drank it while floating the 'Stone.


Great with steaks! Sweet tasting beer! One of my favorites. Brewed in Missoula, Mt.



Oh my! What a beer! Four different barley malts are used. Distinctive citrus flavor. Great after spending a few hours in the sun. I loved this beer and drank copious quantities.


Another great beer, especially after soaking in Chico. Brewed with coriander and orange peel. I drank a six-pack after fishing the PMD's on Soda Butte one day. Lovely, just lovely beer.



Had my first Moose Drool of the trip in the K-Bar in Gardiner, MT. Bought two six-packs and headed to the Mill Creek Cabin. Popular brown ale. Good breakfast drink when combined with bran flakes. Really gets the lower GI moving.

Hard to find this year. Found a couple of six-packs at the Exxon in Cooke City, MT. Always have to drink a few whilst angling in Montana. "A Bigger Tale With Every Ale"


Formerly "Trout Slayer". A great Hefeweizen. The name change to Dancing Trout Ale was not merely a cosmetic one. Bayern Brewing’s Dancing Trout Ale is the official beer sponsor of Montana Trout Unlimited (www.montanatu.org). Bayern Brewing pledges a portion of all merchandise and every case of beer sold to Montana Trout Unlimited to support the preservation of Montana’s trout habitat. I suppose we drank a case of this great beer! What art work! I sure hope that they offer a print for sale.

1 comment:

Matthew D Dunn said...

Better than PA beer? Before, everything RBF pro-staff was gospel. Now it is all bunk ball to me. Montana beer better than PA beer? I shudder. And shudder again.

Sincerely,
Matt Dunn
fishbeer.com