Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Apologies for my Absence

One-pound bison burgers, squag paella, arduous fishing conditions and a table full of booze--sounds like the Big Woods Summit is alive and well. As am I, despite a tremendous lack of time spent on the stream during the past two years. Midger chastised me greatly last weekend for my lack of participation in RBF Pro Staff activities. Indeed, I deserved it.


Although I have not been in the good company of the RBF Pro Staff nor in the proximity of a trout stream recently, I have been keeping certain skills well-honed. For example, the making of Yucca. Midger and I learned just last Saturday that it is possible to make Yucca in bulk quantities. Of course, the most important thing to bulk-mixing is carefully adjusting the ingredients. (A factor, I suppose, which is also at play when cooking an extra-large pan of paella.) Diligent attention to both the quantity of ingredients and the shaking of the jar resulted in two outstanding batches of the spiked nectar, measuring approximately 1.5 gallons each. Someone made a third batch, but I do not remember how it turned out. Probably the best ever.


I have also been keeping my field-testing-under-arduous-conditions skills sharp, and have photographic proof. The first is from a climb in Utah in late February. The other is in New Mexico with the .50-caliber Barrett M107A1. That thing shoots cartridges the size of Potter County brook trout and is louder than Goose after a glass of Bombay Sapphire.



6 comments:

Chief said...

Now that gentlemen is what I call field testing!

Chief said...

Apology accepted. We here at headquaters completely understand what can happen when young men have the opportunity to discharge various firearms in arduous places around the globe. We just ask that you bring a couple to the BWS next year.

Chief
Life Member, NRA

Bowhunter said...

What did you do ride a bike to the top of that mountain.
Anyhoo great post and you need to post some of the critters you've been baggin..
Good Luck

John W said...

Somehow I don't think the tree across the stream will hold up to that 50 cal. Especially if the folks from cinterfire (sp) bring some of their goodies to bear.

Fly_Rodder said...

Bowhunter,

Check this out:
www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/6718/up-a-mountain-with-a-rifle/


John,

That tree might not hold the weight of a Barrett, let alone withstand a blast!

Bowhunter said...

Frickin awesome, ya gotta post some more. All that to shoot some steel plates. Ungodly

good luck