Monday, March 2, 2009

Chief and Uncle Joe

I caught my first fish in the Juniata River in Bedford Co. while fishing with my great uncle. My great uncle was a great outdoorsman. One of his favorite pastimes was hunting snowshoe hares in Elk County. I was lucky to inherit most of his fly fishing tackle. Amongst this inheritance, were some peculiar dry flies. The wings were constructed of hair obtained from the feet of those hares bagged in Elk County. I suspect that these flies were fashioned long before those made popular by Fran Betters.

Many years after spending summer days at my great uncle’s riverside cabin, it was me who would take him fishing in his waning years. His favorite stream was Spring Creek. We would make the drive from Johnstown to Bellefonte in my ’68 Mustang. I recall one such trip. We arrived at the Paradise early in the morning. Uncle Joe could not get out of the car. He probably was 82, a bit overweight with many fused joints. I was patient, I tried lifting his legs out, tried pulling him out from his shoulders, nothing seemed to work. I didn’t know what to do next. Then I realized that he still had on his seatbelt.

Uncle Joe was rather pissed and he didn’t say much until he hooked a rather large brown under the foot bridge. “Go get my goddamn net in car you moron!” he shouted. He didn’t say much more the rest of the day as I recall.

Uncle Joe is sadly missed. I recall his stories every time I reach for a new leader. I carry his aluminum leader tin. His flies remain unused, especially the “Unusuals”.

4 comments:

Agrontrutta said...

"Soc un gran pescador" even at the whipper snapper age!

GregG said...

“Go get my goddamn net in the car you moron!”

Let the minutes reflect the birth (or re-birth, or after-birth) of a rallying cry for Pro Staffers far and wide. This phrase is to be used to announce the hooking and imminent loss of a fish of substantial proportions.

Uncle Joe didn't go into the Pork Rind business did he? Musta been another uncle.

GlenG said...

We all knew Chief was ahead of his time...now we have additional proof...He was wearing seatbelts at a time where most folks thought that they were there for looks only. It does help though to unlatch the blasted things before trying to exit the vehicle.

What about Uncle Mike? Did he go into the salmon egg biz??

Wade Rivers said...

The '68 Mustang was a babe magnet! Just ask the Fair Maiden.

I remember it like it was yesterday.