Friday, March 21, 2008

Meet the Chief

Esteemed founder of the RBF Pro Staff. Self-proclaimed genius. Prolific inventor creating numerous ungodly contraptions including RBF Stealth Wadin Spray, RBF Fart Suppressor, RBF Ungodly Stealth Dry Fly Leaders and the ever so deadly RBF AP Bombay Emerger to name a few.

I’ve been fishin for longer than I can remember. I yanked my first lunker out of the Juniata River over 53 years ago. Got’em on my very first contraption, a RBF San Juniata Worm. Often copied, but never duplicated.

Fell head over heels over a Polish country girl in 6th grade. Taught her how to filet trout, skin fox and flesh coon and other necessary tasks. Married the pretty thing in 1977. The Fair Maiden has been at my side every since.

I like to fish alone; you catch more fish that way. I do on occasion however like to fish with characters. The most notable character that I ever fished with was William Conrad aka Frank Cannon and the narrator of the popular Bullwinkle Show. I spent a couple of hours listening to a score of Bullwinkle and Rocky episodes and smoking a Cuban cigar and drinking some fine California wine back in the parking lot at Allenberry. Never got the balls to ask him where he had his waders made. Mr. Conrad was one fine human.
I was also fortunate enough to fish with Vince Marinaro. I stumbled upon him and his nephew on Clarks Creek in the late 70's. I knew it was Vince when I saw the huge landing net stuffed into his hip boot, recalling reading about the use of such net in one of his ungodly books. Vince showed me how to cast downstream to rising trout, and later in his nephew's truck camper, how to tie his thorax dun. We ate homemade cookies and drank strong coffee. Mr. Marinaro was also one fine human.
I continued to fish throughout the ages, sometimes alone, sometimes with ungodly characters but most times with the Fair Maiden. The Fair Maiden is quite handy with the flyrod and often times outfishes the Chief. She simply murdered'em on DePuy's Spring Creek in Paradise Valley, MT. She also outfished Joe Humphreys on Big Fishing Creek; but that's a story for another time.

After several heart attacks and a successful heart surgery by a fly fishing surgeon in 2004, I settled down and founded the RBF Pro Staff, a group of ungodly fine humans. The rest is history.

1 comment:

Wade Rivers said...

Vince Marinaro? Never heard of the guy. Wait a minute; izzat the former football player/actor who led the nation in rushing back in '70 & '71 and was also the runnerup for the Heisman Trophy in '71? I used to love watching him on Hill Street Blues! I had no idea he used to fish Clarks Creek in his spare time.