Friday, November 21, 2008

Up North

Today’s cold snap and lake-effect snow blew in from Canada, home of Molson, the late Robert Goulet, and some fine flyfishing waters. Herewith some pics of eastern and western flyfishing waters in Canada.
The Margaree River is in the east central region of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Eugene, my French-Canadian guide, instructed me in the etiquette of pool rotation for Atlantic salmon fishing: Get in line, make two casts, move down two paces, repeat. I swung large blue doctors and other colorful salmon flies all day in the hope of at least hooking a fish. It was not to be.

A Margaree river regular

Red Deer river

Bow river

About 5000 km west of Nova Scotia is the province of Alberta, home of cowboys, oil sands, and k.d. lang. I floated the Red Deer river just north of Red Deer Alberta and the Bow river just outside of Calgary. The floats were interesting but not spectacular.

South of Calgary and west of Lethbridge near the Alberta and BC border is the Crow’s Nest river. This would be a great region for a future western summit.

Near the Crows Nest Angler Flyshop, Bellevue, Alberta


Athabasca River, Jasper National Park
Oh Canada, eh?

8 comments:

Wade Rivers said...

Acadian driftwood, Gypsy tail wind
They call my home the land of snow
Canadian cold front movin' in
What a way to ride
Oh, what a way to go

-Robbie Robertson

Beautiful images, Matt. You just wet my appetite for a return trip to Crowsnest Pass. One of my all time favorite road trips was back in '98 when I took US 89 due north out of Browning, Montana into Canada, turned west at Lethbridge then followed Highway 3 for about 80 miles through the Crowsnest Valley. I never stopped to fish the 'Crow because I was in too big of a hurry to get to Fernie, BC (Elk River) but it looked like limestone country to me. Big medicine for a future summit, indeed.

Chief said...

I believe it had something to do with an Alberta Clipper that I can't remember when I shoveled 8" of snow in 17 degree temp before Thanksgiving here on Beech Creek Mountain postponed our annniversary dinner at the Elk Creek Beer Joint half scared to come down off one mountain and travel over another when we got a case of Peter's Special Dark in the frig along with all the home grown meat one would need. Made the Fair Maiden brussel sprouts and venison medallions she'll be fartin all day at work tomorrow. Wonderful photos. I'll surely be there someday.

Chief said...

I believe that we must promote Agrontrutta to Director of International Travels or something of the such.

GlenG said...

Chief, I second the motion to make Matt, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, or Secretary of State.

Matt, Nice work once again - especially looking at green vegetation, in the midst of this recent winter weather.

Call it global warming, but this is one of the coldest, and most ominous looking fall's we've had in recent memory. Perhaps we'll get some decent precip this winter and replentish the water table for some good spring time angling in '09.

I once went for a family vaca in the Banff/Jasper region way back there in the mid-late 70's (wow, I'm getting up there) and remembering that it is the most raw and primitive part of the Rockies I've ever seen. I caught some Brookies in the Bow, way up near the NP, and found at that time that it might be too cold and sterile at that point to support good trout populations. I don't think it gets good until it gets past Calgary. Its an awesome, wild area that I'd love to get back to someday, along with 10,000 other places too!

GlenG said...

Chief,
Were you referring to the Elk Creek Cafe, and their nectar of the gods "Great Blue Heron Pale Ale"? I'd have to say, that might just be the finest brew that's ever been washed over my palate, bar none. An outstanding selection...

Wade Rivers said...

Glen,
My guess would have been Brownies Tavern or Heart breakers :^)

Chief said...

Elk Creek Cafe had a dope smokin band playing tonight for the PSU crowd, so we avoided humanity and headed down to the South Avis Inn for our anniversary dinner. Spent the rest of the evening shopping at Unkle Joe's Woodshed on top of the hill in Flemington. Bought some Blackbird steelhead hooks and the Fair Maiden bought a bluebird ornament.

Secretary of State...hmmmm.

Agrontrutta said...

Secretary of State is taken. I'm holding out for Secretary of Ag.

Chief, cuantos anos el anniversario?